Thursday, August 20, 2009

listening to the Holy Ghost

Everything is going amazing here in College Station. We are in finding mode right now, but we have been blessed every time we have gone tracting or contacting formers and potentials to find new investigators each time. We contacted a lady named Paula who was taught a little over a year ago. We invited her to learn more and she said she wanted to so we set up an appointment and when we went over she wasn't home, but it was only 830 and I felt it was too early to go in for the night so we talked about it and there was a potential we have tried about 7 times and she's never been home but we decided to try her one more time because her apartment was on the way home and I felt like we should. So we knocked on her door twice and she wasn't home so we started walking away and then a lady answered. She wasn't the potential we were trying to contact, but we told her who we were and about our message and she invited us in and we taught her the Restoration and gave her a Book of Mormon and she was really excited. Her name is Mable and she has two girls that are 5 and 3 and so adorable... So we set up a return appointment. Then a couple days later we contacted Paula, the former investigator, and set another appointment up with her and now we are teaching both of them. So even though it was discouraging when Paula wasn't home the first time, Heavenly Father was in control and he knew that Mable needed to hear the Gospel that night and we were able to start teaching both of them. Listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost really is the only way we can succeed as missionaries in the way the Lord wants us to. I'm still learning a lot, but every time I take that leap of faith, not knowing beforehand what I am going to do or Why, but acting on the promptings I receive, I am blessed. So that was one awesome story for this week. And it can't get better than being evacuated to the Stake Center for hours because of chemical explosions. We were so confused at first. I was on exchanges and so I had Sister Boren in my area and Sister Sorensen went with my previous companion Sister Lieber on campus and Elder Salazar called us and told us the situation. We really thought he was just joking around because they leave dumb messages all the time saying the first presidency text them and told them they were worried about us...hah just things like that so we didn't know what to think. So yeah we just had 13 of us missionaries and a bunch of other members from Bryan in the Stake Center in College Station for awhile and then we got permission for all the sisters to stay in our apartment since we are out of bryan far enough and then all the elders to stay in the Zone leaders and university elders' apartment cause they live together. It was great for us cause there is only 4 of us! The elders had 9 in their apartment haha so I don't think they had the funnest night. We just ordered pizza and took pictures! It was a relaxed night...It was actually a little bit of torture being confined to your apartment because everyday we're told we have to be out all day except meal time and so it felt like we were breaking the rules or something! But yeah all is well we are all alive. We are having zone meeting on Wednesday and I was asked to give a talk on the Relationship between Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ which is really broad to me so I had a hard time picking a point to talk about to relate it to us. At length I came to the conclusion that really it was pretty obvious that I needed to talk about obedience and the example Christ set of that. His relationship with the father is on the foundation of complete obedience. His own statement of that is "Thy Will be done." So I am sort of getting all my thoughts on paper finally. It will be great though I have already learned so much about it in preparation. We are going to the Temple this Thursday as well so it's just going to be a wonderful week. I am so excited to hear where Shannon is going!! She's going to be such an amazing missionary! Let me know where she gets called to. Well I have to write some individual emails and then we are going bowling today so I am gonna end this but I just love you all so much and I am so happy that we are a family for time and all eternity. It's such a great blessing we have been given! Any blessing we receive though is only predicated upon obedience...interesting how everything goes back to obedience. That's why we are put in to family units though so that we can help eachother bind ourselves to holiness before the lord and act in exact obedience. Truly, if we take away all our arguing and bad feelings once in awhile, family is who we think of first with anything and we are always wanting to help them walk in the ways of the Lord, which is walking in exact obedience. K love you!
Sister D

No comments:

Post a Comment